TechSmart is a Seattle, WA based EdTech company that empowers teachers to reach all students with coding & computer science. We believe every student deserves the opportunity to learn to code and make their mark on the world, regardless of their backgrounds, identities, or abilities. We partner with school districts to provide Teacher Coding Bootcamps, a K-12 Curriculum Pathway, and a cloud-based Teaching & Learning Platform.
As a Staff Software Engineer you'll advance the rich web application that is our Teaching & Learning Platform, which delivers our world-class coding curriculum to tens of thousands of teachers and students around the United States. You will have the opportunity to work with an experienced and supportive group of fellow engineers and use proven technologies to provide the best possible experience to both our customers and dedicated staff.
We are looking for a professional to join our team and help invent the future of K-12 coding education. The ideal candidate has strong coding skills, a friendly and collaborative personality, a passion for education, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a desire for self-improvement.
In this role, you will...
- Impact the lives of tens of thousands of elementary, middle, and high school students by supporting their teachers to provide them with learning pathways to professional coding jobs.
- Collaborate with our curriculum, engineering, product management, teacher success, and user experience teams to push computer science education to new heights of instruction and engagement.
- Apply your software design, development, and deployment expertise to the architecture and infrastructure of our world class learning platform.
- Influence your colleagues through company-wide initiatives, collaborating to find pragmatic solutions and unlocking their potential along the way.
As a software engineer, you will...
- Drive the design of our learning platform by writing and reviewing technical design documents.
- Collaborate with product and project leaders to prioritize work items in the team backlog.
- Lead the development of complex software projects that have strategic value for the company.
- Delight teachers, students, and school leaders with the software you ship.
As a technical leader, you will...
- Set a technical direction by understanding and solving for the needs of the company.
- Grow the software engineers around you through mentorship and sponsorship.
- Inject engineering context and perspective into organizational decisions.
- Explore new technologies and develop prototypes to expand and de-risk product innovation.
We are excited to meet because you have...
- A growth mindset, respect for others, empathy, honesty, humility, and accountability.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, as well as the ability to give and receive feedback.
- Proficiency with breaking down product requirements into manageable work items.
- Proficiency with influencing, mentoring, advocating for others.
Web Application Development
- Mastery of a backend web framework such as Django or equivalent.
- Mastery of a frontend web framework such as Vue or equivalent.
- Mastery of a relational database such as MySQL or equivalent.
- Mastery of a cloud service provider such as Amazon Web Services or equivalent.
Software Engineering Practices
- Mastery of Git and a repository hosting service such as GitHub or equivalent.
- Mastery of Docker, containerization workflows, and infrastructure-as-code technologies.
- Mastery of iterative design, incremental development, automated testing, code reviews, continuous integration, and continuous delivery.
And have the following relevant experience...
- At least seven years of professional software engineering experience.
This is a full-time, remote position. We are seeking applicants who can collaborate with our team Monday–Friday between the hours of 9 AM to 5 PM Pacific Standard Time.
To join our dynamic, rapidly growing team, send us your resume with a link to a code sample and a cover letter detailing what excites you about this role.
We are committed to building a diverse team, at all levels, that mirrors the populations we serve. As an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, TechSmart considers all qualified applicants for employment.